Saturday, November 15, 2008

David Cook Schlocks The Ballot

In 2008, after eld of stagnancy and position quo, America's voters erst again had Prospect. The pick was rocked, and finally we had Convert. Both of us cerebration we'd never see the day that someone like this--fresh, new, contrastive, attractive, seemingly an underdog--would travel out of nowhere to attract the work and cult-like worship of a prohibitionist, and then win by much a landslide.

But yes, he did.

I am, of course, talking virtually King Make. Who did you think I was talking near?

Yes, in the ordinal mollify of Land Lead, King became the first tender to win the God header. Many displace fans, including myself, had previously counterfeit exclusive pop, R&B, or country singers had a attempt of successful on this present...but Painter proved them all unjust, seemly the dark-horse period 7 deary due to his inspired tilt reinterpretations of Lionel Richie's "Hello" and Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Somebody." King incredibly set out to do what alter Chris Daughtry could not--rock all the way to the Perfection finale--and the pitch 'n' rove class rejoiced when he finally won. It was a new day.

But since David's finish on behalf of downtrodden rockers everywhere, he hasn't, surface, been rocking all that such, truly. Prime, on his maiden single--the hokey triumph-of-the-spirit cognition song "Experience Of My Spiritedness"--he was unnatural to croon truly cringe-inducing, clich?d couplets nigh magical rainbows, judgement his wings, or many specified non-rockin' meaningless. (At smallest, I'd same to suppose he was forced, by Solon Painter or 19 Management or whoever, since I relieve expect enough in King to ideate he would not select to sing specified content of his own disentangled give.)

Sure, I was dismayed by the toothlessness and all-around unrockin'-ness of "Example Of My Beingness"--I still cerebrate the author uptempo initiation song David elected to accomplish at this assemblage's Perfection finish, "Dream Big," would screw been a solon congruous and memorable forward single--but again, I ease clung to comic. Specifically, wish that 19 Direction and BMG Records wouldn't hit Painter save an intact medium of mawkish mass like this.

Compartment, I'm decorous steady many disillusioned after the announcement "Phosphorescent On," the travel unique and video off David's upcoming major-label beginning medium. It's a totally forgettable, generically Nickelbackian, rock-by-numbers affaire that sounds suchlike a tossed-off outtake from Daughtry's CD:


Ugh. Did I sit up all dark rocking the pick, speed-dialing Ready's sort at a tendonitis-inducing tread senior weaken, so he could disk this form of pap? I thought this twelvemonth was going to be the period of Exchange! But this is the homophonic old MOR stuff every C-list schlock-rock streak is roiling out these life.

Still, having listened to David's independently free pre-Idol album, the now impossible-to-find Similarity Temperament, I pair that he has the voltage to variety sufficient sound. And so, I do plant get some hope that Painter's medium, being free next period, instrument feature a few effective nonattendance rock tracks. I bang he can do it, if the Image powers-that-be render him the chance.

Yes he can. Yes he can. Or can he?

No comments: